During the holidays keep the decorations to a minimum. Don't block or cover up important selling features such as fireplace mantels, stairs, stained-glass windows.
With the Christmas holidays quickly approaching people ask me every year: Is it a good idea to list and sell my home in the month of December?
Typically, I would suggest to my clients to wait until the new year if they can, because a lot of potential buyers have their minds on other things like: shopping, baking, numerous Christmas parties, etc.
Having said that, each year can vary.. This year, and I mean like right now, I would actually say it is still a good idea to list and sell your Burlington home because there is a shortage of nice Townhomes, Condos and Detached Homes on the market. Low supply and high demand still exists in Halton Region in December 2012.
Buyers are still seriously looking and ready to buy. So, as a seller you have very little competition – which often means quick sale and top dollar! Timing is always crucial in any market, so if you’re thinking of listing your home do it now and you’ll have 2 solid weeks before things really slow down.
One other thing – people out looking at this time of year and through the holidays, tend to be more serious buyers. If you do decide to go on the market, here are some quick tips on Decorating you Home for “Selling”.
- Remember you never get a second chance to make a first impression
- Keep your front entrance clear of snow, a nice welcome mat and an urn(s) with a fresh evergreen arrangement by the front door
- Tone down the size of tree, if you have a really BIG Christmas tree – consider going smaller (slimmer) for this year
- Only have a few nicely wrapped gifts, under the tree and put the rest under a bed or in a closet
- Use more splashes of red than green because red is an emotionally appealing color
- Use greenery instead such as fresh evergreen or rosemary garlands
- Display centerpieces made from pine cones or other wintry pieces of nature
- Set a plate of cookies on the counter, next to festive paper napkins for guests
- Simmer spicy apple cider in a pot on the stove then turn it off and leave it sitting for the fragrance to linger
If you do decide to wait until the next year, try to get your home listed as soon as possible after the holidays. The longer you wait, the more competition you may have. Trusting this has been helpful info and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions and remember – I would be delighted to “Help You Make The Right Moves” any time of the year!
Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season!
– Lori VanDinther and Team, Burlington Realtor